Demystifying Windows Update, Microsoft Update and MSE through a Proxy Server or Proxy Address
It has been a long standing issue that Windows Update, Microsoft Update and MSE could not update through a Proxy Server or Proxy Address use. This is not exactly the case. Windows Update, Microsoft Update and MSE “can” update through a Proxy Server or address. It’s the proper configuration and use on how to allow WU/MU or MSE to pass through a Proxy.
There are two definite Microsoft KB Articles that has fueled my research on how to Update Windows and MSE through a Proxy (Server/Address). See the links of KB Articles below:
Here are the steps I have provided to allow WU/MU and MSE to update using either a Proxy Server or a Proxy Address in the MSE Forums and several other Microsoft Answers site forums:
On Vista/Windows 7:
1. Go to START, All Programs, Accessories, and right click on Command Prompt.
2. Click and choose “Run As Administrator”.
3. In the Command Prompt window, enter: NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY (Number and Proxy Server)
Example: NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY 126.96.36.199:8080
or: NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY MYPROXY.NET:8080
On XP (SP2/SP3):
1. Open Command Prompt by going through Start>RUN
2. In the RUN box, delete anything inside and then type CMD. Hit ENTER.
3. In the Command Prompt window type the syntax: PROXYCFG -P (Number and Proxy Server)
Example: PROXYCFG -P 188.8.131.52:8080
OR: PROXYCFG -P MYPROXY.NET:8080
4. Hit ENTER after typing your proxy server or address.
Let’s use Internet Explorer.
1. Let’s configure Internet Options for Internet Explorer:
a. In Vista/Windows 7, type INETCPL.CPL from the Start Search in the Start Menu then hit Enter.
b. In XP (SP2/SP3), look and open RUN from the Start Menu and type INETCPL.CPL then click OK.
2. A window should come up then jump to the Connections tab. On the Connections tab hit LAN Settings menu box:
3. In the resulting windows add your Proxy Server or Proxy Address under the Proxy Server menu by clicking on the check box. Hit OK and then Apply, OK again to close the Internet Properties window.